N.C. Attorney General: Lawsuit against White House over drilling moratorium to continue
Despite the withdrawal by one company of an application to conduct seismic testing offshore for oil and natural gas, North Carolina’s Attorney General said he will continue with a lawsuit against the Trump Administration lifting a moratorium on drilling off the coast.
WesternGeco, LLC. sent a letter to federal officials on September 4, withdrawing their application submitted in 2014.
“I am pleased by WesternGecos decision and urge the Trump Administration to stop its headlong rush to put oil rigs off North Carolinas beautiful shores,” said state Attorney General Josh Stein in a statement released Monday.
President Trump said last week he will re-institute the drilling moratorium for the outer continental shelf off Florida, Georgia and South Carolina, but left out North Carolina.
In 2018, I sued the Trump Administration about its efforts to open the eastern seaboard to offshore drilling in the U.S. District Court in South Carolina,” Stein said. “I commend the district court for asking the Trump Administration this week to explain how the Presidents memorandum of Sept. 8 affects the Administrations plans for pre-drilling seismic testing on the East Coast.”
“The President wrongly and without basis leaves North Carolina exposed to offshore drilling while protecting Florida, South Carolina, and Georgia,” said Stein.
“North Carolinas natural resources arent just beautiful theyre also an economic engine for our state. And North Carolinians have made their views crystal clear....